Monday, June 28, 2010

Monday Matinee - "The Dolly Sisters"



This weeks Monday Matinee movie is the 1945 Betty Grable hit, "The Dolly Sisters".It also happens to be my favorite movie of all time.

I first saw TDS when I was about 6-7 years old on the old AMC channel. My Grandmother was so excited to see it again and she told me to sit and watch it with her. Boy am I glad that I did. It was instant love. Love for the film, the costumes, the music and of course for Betty Grable. We had a VHS of the film taped off TV that I practically wore out from watching it so much. Thank goodness for the DVD release.

Taken from the Wiki site and from IMDB:

The Dolly Sisters is a 1945 biographical film about the Dolly Sisters, identical twins who became famous as entertainers on Broadway and in Europe in the early years of the twentieth century.
Here is the the Wiki on the REAL Dolly Sisters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_Sisters

As you can see, they bare little resemblance to the blond pin ups who portray them. It is also rumored that although the film is supposed to take place in the early 1900's, Betty Grable refused to have anything but 40's costumes and hair styles.

The two sisters find success and love, though the road to both is paved with hurdles and sometimes tragedy. The movie is filled with lavish musical numbers and songs. The costumes are pure eye candy, crafted by the talented Orry-Kelly(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0650673/).

My personal favorite part of the film takes place during one of the sisters performances. The entire musical number is about make-up and beauty products and takes place in a giant vanity case!!!! There are even chorus girls dressed as beauty products like lipstick and rouge. *SIGH*

I hope you take time and give this film a watch, it's totally worth it.

Here are some stills to peak your interest further:



2 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I love this film. I hunted it down after I read that Dita von Teese took some costume inspiration from the make-up scene.
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched this movie myself. Divine! Especially the make-up case scene.

    ReplyDelete